Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just call me Productive!

Good Afternoon!

I have been quite the busy bee this last couple of days!

After almost 2 weeks of no sewing, I have thrown myself back into it by churning out a few fabulous little projects all in one day! Granted it was a very LONG day, but still, I am really happy with what I achieved!

On Friday I had a day off from work and decided to get creative and finally make my first ever piece of clothing. Up until then, I have only ever attempted a few little things like bags (which, by the way, I rock at!)

The first thing I made, just to get me back in 'The Zone', was a red and yellow bag for my little sister Courtney. It has little owls which were hand-sewn by yours truly - it took me like 2 hours! She loves it and has now requested a beach bag. I then decided to suck it up and finally make something wearable.

I have been putting it off for a while now, mostly because I was pretty certain that I would fail horribly and scar myself for life. Possibly even throw my beloved Godfrey (my sewing machine. Given to me by a friend, it is an ancient machine that probably weighs 50kg and was made by Godfrey's - before they started with the vaccuum cleaners) off the balcony.

Anyway, I didn't fail and Godfrey is still with us. When I was in Sydney, I picked up this great book with patterns and step by step instructions with some really cute designs and, thankfully, difficulty ratings ranging from 1 (easy as pie) to 5 (uh, are you sure you want to pick this one?)

I decided to start off with a skirt with a difficulty rating of 1. Safe bet right? never sewn clothing before in my life. Don't really know the 'lingo' and all the sewing terms. Like what the hell is a bias and how do you baste clothes? Isn't that what you do to turkeys?? Well I figured it all out and, let me tell you, it is really not that hard and if you just take it one step at a time (and call your mother whenever your stuck) then it is not as scary as it looks.

All in all, the skirt was really easy. Like, really easy. It was one piece and all I had to do was sew up the side and hem it and add elastic at the waist. It gave me a bit more confidence that maybe I had underestimated my sewing cababilities after all. So I went with a dress next with a difficulty rating of 3.

I must admit, the dress was a little harder, but in a good way. I didn't finish it until 2.30am, but it was worth it! I love it - its super comfortable, although a little big in the arm area and I have to take the bottom up like 20cm (way too long!)

Check back here in the next day or two to see photos. I will post some once I have fixed the hem and the sides of the dress so it fits better.

Loz
xxx

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the end result - sensational. Let me tell you if this is the FIRST ever clothing - then look out fashion world in 2 months.

    P.S. is there anywhere that we can buy the bags and owls yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mum =) you can always count on your mum to give you good feedback haha.

    ReplyDelete